Sunday, March 02, 2008

Inconceivable!

I've been trying to carry on the family tradition of forcing our children to watch movies they don't want to see. I remember vehemently protesting against Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I thought it was a western. Dad said, "Shut up and pay attention. You'll change your mind." Obviously he knew better. Thanks Dad.
Last night i introduced Imani to The Princess Bride. The whole thing kinda played out like the situation in the movie between Grandpa and Fred Savage. At first she whined, huffed and puffed. I got a "This is corny!" and a " I'd rather go to bed than watch this." before she stubbornly buried her face in a pillow and threw the covers over her head. However, we all know that pirates, giants, and princesses are irresistible. By the time The Dread Pirate Roberts and Vizzini battled wits over a game of switcheroo, Imani was putting her two cents in as to the location of the iocane powder. So gratifying.

Here's a contender for The Most Romantic Line(s) in a Movie Ever:

Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

Got a favorite mushy movie moment? Let me have it.


4 Comments:

Blogger GabsOSteel said...

that is my favorite movie moment ever. i remember bonding with my sister over that movie. my mom used to be like, "dinner time!" and i'd be all like, "but mom, maddie and i are bonding over the sword-fighting movie!" and then we'd eat dinner in the living room.

oh man, that movie is so amazing.

12:49 PM  
Blogger goose said...

favorite movie mushy moment? The end of Casablanca, when Rick tells Ilsa why she has to leave. Watch it.

10:28 AM  
Blogger John said...

Ladyhawke. The frozen lake scene. Oh so corny. Oh so good.

6:50 AM  
Blogger The Humanist said...

Tie for me:

1a) That Hamilton Woman (1941) - Lawrence Olivier plays Lord Horatio Nelson and Vivien Leigh plays his mistress Lady Emma Hamilton...As the year turns from 1799 to 1800, the clocks chime midnight and he is kissing her atop a balcony, with fireworks exploding in the bay below. He says - "Now I've kissed you through two centuries."

1b) Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - Adam Sandler's line when he confronts the gang at the end of the film - "I have a love in my life. It makes me stronger than anything you can imagine.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home