Thursday, March 06, 2008

If you decide to proceed, turn to page 23

I remember once my father saying to my mother that he was afraid I might have a social disorder or something because I was reading Nancy Drew in the living room on a sunny afternoon. He was serious and I was offended. So to address todays topic of things I was into when I was a kid, I'd have to say books have shaped my life more than anything.

I wanted to be as stylish and popular as Jessica Wakefield from Sweet Valley High. Jessica was boy crazy, didn't like playing by the rules and lied and connived to get herself out of any hot water she had gotten herself into. If that didn't work,she could always count on her good and wholesome sister Elizabeth to help her out..I would literally ask myself "WWJD?"(What would Jessica do?) before making decisions. The problem with that however, was that I ended up in more trouble than I probably would have on my own. As you can see, not much has changed.
I wasn't a totally lost case though... geekdom prevailed and I found my way to the Choose Your Own Adventure section at my local library. I became addicted. I had my little plastic library bag that I hung on the handlebars of my brother's BMX and I would ride there a few times a week and check out new ones. I still look at life like a choose your own adventure. Every decision has consequences and I won't know where it will lead until I turn the page. (cornball alert)
And of course, having three brothers, I often enjoyed their toys more than my own. This may explain my love of cars:Hot Wheels Car Wash- I fucking loved that thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger subscription girl said...

me = so jealous that you had the car wash growing up.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Lindz said...

Sweet Valley High! Did you ever break into the Babysitters Club?

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home