Thursday, April 10, 2008

Update

All moved in my new place and mostly unpacked. The cable guys came over the other day and installed my internet but left my computer on a short leash. Apparently my brother's friend wiped out a little too much when he last cleaned my hard drive and rendered my computer wireless-less. So I blog to you from my living room floor- very very close to the wall.
The new place pretty much sucks. First of all, I can't smoke in my apartment. The only time this actually poses a problem for me is when I'm blogging or writing. Somewhere in my programming, the creative process is directly linked to slowly killing myself. Getting up every 15 minutes to go outside is severely hindering my flow.Since quitting smoking has been on my futile "to-do" lists for the last several years, I was hoping (in vain ?)that a non-smoking apartment would add a little gumption. There's a new quit program out called EX whose philosophy is that you have to "re-learn to live your life... without cigarettes." Basically, you identify triggers, or behaviors you associate with smoking, and learn how to do them without smoking. The commercial I saw showed this guy attempting to drink a cup of coffee... every time he brought it to his mouth he'd spill it all over his chin. Point: If you can re-learn to drink a cup of coffee, you can re-learn to do anything. I guess.
(smoke break)
Then there's the problem of living on a heavily trafficked main road. Every time I go to my car or step outside to get some fresh air, i.e smoke, I feel too visible. I'm afraid my patterns will be detected by some shady segment of the neighborhood and make me the perfect candidate for a break-in or worse. And not having a second exit as a means to escape does not do well on the nerves. Add in the creepy-crawlies that tend to hang out in basement apartments and you've got one very unhappy new tenant. Maybe I just need a little more time to get comfortable. I'm thinking that getting the books on the shelves and actually bringing in my bedroom furniture once it's refinished will add some warmth. The cardboard box dressers I've constructed, while clever and useful, do nothing for the soul.


Until then, I may be falling asleep on your sofa in mid-conversation due to the lack of sleep I've been getting. Don't wake me unless I start to drool. I need the rest, but please spare me the humiliation. Thanks.

Also, will be posting on my new blog about the glamorous world of chronically dating
(mainly losers) sometime later today. Feel free to check it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger GabsOSteel said...

you are more than welcome to come drool on my couch anytime! and i hope you warm up to the new place soon. :)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home